5 Ways Pet Odors Are Making You Sick

 


We all love our pets. But having a lovable family friend often comes at a price, and usually it’s the presence of lingering odors on your carpets and furniture. Keep reading to find out how these odors can actually be making you sick.1. Skin and eye irritation
Let’s face it; most of those unpleasant smells come from urine deposits. The odor comes from ammonia, which is an irritant that can aggravate your eyes and skin causing rashes, redness, itching, and irritation. Children are more susceptible due to their age and also because they tend to spend more time wallowing around on carpets where most urine deposits are found. Long term exposure to ammonia can even cause permanent eye damage or burns.2. Respiratory infections
When any type of pet deposit (think urine, feces, etc.) is left behind, it becomes a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and mold. Even if cleaned, the fiber content of most carpets and fabrics make it tough to completely get rid of your pet’s dirty business. Once bacteria or mold start to grow, they can then get released into the air and breathed in by unsuspecting human family members – which can cause serious respiratory infections and complications.

3. Asthma
Prolonged exposure to irritants and allergens such as pet deposits, hair, and dander can actually cause asthma or make it worse. If not treated, asthma can lead to hospitalization or even death in very severe cases. While vacuuming and dusting can help, it’s hard to clean every nook and cranny and so irritants often get left behind.

4. Allergies
Pollen and ragweed aren’t the only major factors when it comes to allergies. Pets are major contributors to ongoing allergy issues. And any allergy sufferer knows that itchy eyes and a runny nose aren’t the only symptoms – often headaches, dizziness and nausea can result from prolonged exposure to allergens and odors left behind by your pet.

5. Fatigue
If the above problems weren’t enough, the prolonged exposure to everything icky from those pet odors can cause a crippling amount of fatigue. Living with irritants, bacteria, mold, and allergens every day causes your body to constantly fight off infection and carry out immune responses. This will eventually wear you out and cause very noticeable – and unpleasant – fatigue, weakness, and tiredness.

It’s quite clear that lingering pet odors in carpets and furniture are far more problematic than just a bad smell. Many health problems can arise from prolonged exposure to irritants. Properly treating any pet odors is crucial to preventing sickness so that you can continue to live with, and love, your furry (or not so furry) friend.    Carpet Cleaning Portland company has more info